At Eastway, we aim for our MfL curriculum to be:
- Well Designed and Delivered, fulfilling the requirements of the National Curriculum. We lay the foundations needed for successful learning through the robust delivery of our Easter Matters Early Years Curriculum which is tailored to pupil's needs
- Knowledge-Rich so that children build deep knowledge in French that they return to and build upon as they move through school
- Closing the Gap: we carefully check children have the prior learning they need to be successful in a lesson and take action to support them fill any gaps they may have. We also check how well they are acquiring new knowledge in the lesson to adapt the lesson to their needs and provide additional support or challenge for children who need so that all children achieve our ambitious learning focus.
- Bring Learning to Life as children have real-life experiences of modern foreign languages in their world
- Develop children as active, independent learners who are Ready, Respectful, Responsible
- Love learning French!
French is taught in Years 3-6, using Primary Languages Network scheme of work which provides quality learning resources for your child.
Our Year 3 & 4 children focus on speaking and listening to French, Our Y5 & Y6 children focus on reading and writing in French
In Eastway French lessons you may see:
- Plenty of repetition of new language to support memorising
- Chances to recognise language before being expected to produce it independently
- Children engaging with and using the target language
- Struggling learners supported with extra opportunities to practice areas of difficulty (e.g. extra time on repetition before moving on to using new language, scaffolds for written activities, etc.)
- Additional challenge available for children who are ready to work at a greater depth than the ARE lesson (e.g. encourage to look up supplementary vocabulary using wordreference.com, make links to prior areas of learning, etc.)
- Adults giving feedback as children work and children responding in green pen.