Eastway SEND Information

Mrs C Harrison


If you wish to contact our SENDCO, please email schooloffice@eastway.wirral.sch.uk or phone the school on 0151 677 1235.
Mrs S Dennett

Family Support Coordinator

SEND Information Report September 2021

 Please look at the questions below for more information about the provision from Eastway Primary School and how we can support your child. 

How will Eastway Primary School know if my son or daughter needs extra help? 

We will assess each pupil’s current skills and levels of attainment on entry, which will build on previous settings and Key Stages, where appropriate. Class teachers will make regular assessments of progress for all pupils and identify those whose progress:


  • Is significantly slower than that of their peers starting from the same baseline
  • Fails to match or better the child’s previous rate of progress
  • Fails to close the attainment gap between the child and their peers
  • Widens the attainment gap
  • Concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers, teaching assistants or the child
  • Children in our foundation stage are screened using the WELLCOM language assessment.
  • Causing concern meetings/discussions are held regularly from which we track and identify children who are not making expected progress.
  • Interventions/support programmes are then implemented and monitored to ensure that the child makes accelerated progress
  • There is a change in the child’s behaviour or progress 
  • This may include progress in areas other than attainment, for example, social needs

Slow progress and low attainment will not automatically mean a pupil is recorded as having SEN.  When deciding whether special educational provision is required, we will start with the desired outcomes, including the expected progress and attainment, and the views and the wishes of the pupil and their parents. We will use this to determine the support that is needed and whether we can provide it by adapting our core offer, or whether something different or additional is needed


What should I do if I think my son or daughter may have special educational needs? 

If you have concerns about your child please contact their class teacher or Mrs Harrison the SENCO via the School Office. 

We will have an early discussion with the pupil and their parents when identifying whether they need special educational provision. These conversations will make sure that:

  • Everyone develops a good understanding of the pupil’s areas of strength and difficulty
  • We take into account the parents’ concerns
  • Everyone understands the agreed outcomes sought for the child
  • Everyone is clear on what the next steps are

How will staff support my son or daughter? 

  • The class teacher will plan each child’s education programme. It is differentiated according to meet the individual needs of pupils.
There may also be additional support if a child has greater needs in a specific areas of learning such as: handwriting, spelling, reading or maths, the pupil will be included in a small focus intervention group which will be run by a teacher or teaching assistant. An intervention group will usually run for a term but may vary according to the needs of each child. The interventions will be reviewed regularly by all involved to assess the impact on the pupil and to inform future planning. All interventions are recorded on the provision map (a record of the interventions, cost, time and outcomes.)
  • We are a Thrive school, which is a systematic approach to the early identification of emotional developmental needs in young people so that differentiated provision can be put in place quickly by the adults working most closely with the child.
  • We also support children emotionally through the Drawing and Talking Therapy, Seasons of Growth, Butterflies, ELSA and Next Step (CAMHS) 
  • Emotional support can also be provided by our Learning and Behaviour Mentor, Mrs Crawford.
  • Regular Causing concern meetings are held where the Senior Leadership Team and pastoral team discuss the needs of individual pupils.
  • Sometimes a child may need more specialised support from an outside agency such as a Speech and Language Therapist, etc. A referral will be made with the consent and help of parents/carers and forwarded to the appropriate agency. If after assessments a programme of support is provided the SENCO ensures that it is followed and will record it on the provision plan.
  • The Governors of Eastway Primary School are responsible for the overseeing of all procedures in school. Mrs Jane Goalen is the SEN Governor. 

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being? 

  • Class teachers and Teaching Assistants are available to pupils who wish to discuss issues or concerns
  • Mrs Dennett and Mrs Crawford also provide pastoral support and are available to children and parents who wish to discuss concerns.
  • Class teachers plan specific lessons and activities to help support children’s Personal, Social and Health development
  • Mrs Dennett (HSC) runs Thrive, Seasons of Growth and Protective Behaviours  for children who may need emotional support
  • We have 2 trained ELSAs (Emotional Literacy Support Assistants)
  • Referrals can be made through Community Matters for other support such as a Family Support Worker

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs? 

  • If a child has special education need their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to ensure they can access the curriculum.
  • Teaching Assistants (TAs) may be allocated to support children either 1:1 or in a small group
  • Teachers may teach some children in small target groups.
  • Specialist equipment such as: writing slopes, pencil grips, fidget toys may be provided for a pupil

How will I know how my child is doing? 

Parents are actively encouraged to be partners in their child’s education through; informal and formal discussions, telephone contact, home school diaries, and half yearly and end of year written reports. 

  • Parent’s meetings are held where you can discuss your child’s progress
  • You can speak to your child’s class teacher at the end of the day or make an appointment for a longer more private meeting
  • You can also make an appointment to see Mrs Harrison the SENCO via the School Office. 


How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • The class teacher may recommend ways of how you can support your child
  • Mrs Harrison the SENCO may meet with you to discuss how you can support your child’s needs
  • Mrs Dennett , the Home School Co-ordinator (HSC) may meet with you to discuss how you can support your child if there are emotional or mental health needs
  • We also hold courses for parents such as; Family Works, Youth Connect 5, CAMHS workshops, PEEP (for parents of children in the Early Years), ADHD Foundation training and English and Maths courses.
  • Both Mrs Harrison and Mrs Dennett can signpost you to external support groups
  • If outside agencies are involved they may provide programmes to be used at home 

Pupils with additional Health or Medical Needs

  • When a pupil has an identified medical need an Individual Healthcare Plan is written with parents/carers, SENCO and Mrs Dennett and the School Nurse, and other medical professionals as appropriate. All staff who work with the child are made aware of this Healthcare plan.
  • Staff receive epipen training
  • Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered in school when parents have completed and signed the medication consent form to ensure the safety of both child and staff
  • Medication is kept in the school office and any medication given is witnessed and recorded
  • Some teachers have had defibrillator training and 5 members of staff have a full Paediatric First aid Certificate 

How accessible is the school environment 

As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements. Eastway School is built on one level which enhances accessibility within the school the school environment. We also have: 

  • 2 toilets adapted for disabled users
  • 4 changing facilities
  • Ramps into the main entrance and all fire exits make the building accessible to all
  • Ramps between our outside and indoor learning environments for Foundation Stage children
  • Wide doors in most areas of school 

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips? 

We are an inclusive school so activities and school trips are available to all;

  • Risk assessments are carried out and adaptations are put in place to ensure that all children can participate safely
  • Where a child may need a high level of supervision the parent/carer may be asked to accompany their child 

What training have the staff supporting children with SEND had or are having. 

All staff receive on-going training in relation to SEND and meeting pupils’ needs within school:

  • The SENCO has national accreditation in this role and provides advice and guidance to staff.
  • There are regular SEN training sessions for both TAs and Teachers during the year.
  • Mrs Dennet (HSC) is a licenced Thrive practitioner and qualified in Drawing and Talking Therapy.
  • Mrs Crawford has a NVQ L2 counselling qualification.
  • We have 2 ELSA ( Emotional Literacy Support Assistants)

What Expert and Specialist Support Services are Available to the School from outside Agencies? 

In order to meet the individual needs of a child the school will work with and seek advice from a range of colleagues from outside agencies to support the child’s academic and social progress: 

  • School Nurse/Health Visitor
  • Early Years SEND Team
  • Sensory Support Teams
  • Medical Physical Needs Team
  • Speech and Language Therapists
  • Autism and Social Communication Team (ASC Team)
  • Community Paediatricians
  • Physiotherapy Team
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Community Matters
  • Early Childhood Service
  • Family Matters
  • Safer Families
  • ADHD Foundation
  • Gilbrook Social and Emotional Outreach Support
  • Elleray Park Outreach Support for Early Years SEND
  • Educational Psychologist (private)
  • PCSOs

An Educational Psychologist is allocated to each school by the Local Authority for a limited number of sessions each year. He or she would usually only work directly with pupils who have considerable needs and have not responded well to the interventions previously put in place.  

How will the school prepare and support children to join Eastway Primary School or Transfer to a new school? 

Successful transitions are important in meeting a child’s SEND needs so strategies are put in place to support a child these Include: 

  • Discussions between the previous or receiving schools before the child joins/leaves
  • A member of staff always meets parents/carers prior to their child joining the school
  • Mrs Harrison is happy to meet parents/carers before/as their child joins Eastway
  • All new pupils attend a transition visit where they see their new classroom and meet their new teacher
  • Within school all change mornings are held each year to enable children to meet their next teacher
  • Additional visits are also arranged for children who may need extra time in their new school
  • Social stories are used for pupils who may need them
  • Secondary school visit children prior to them joining their school
  • We liaise with SENCOs and pastoral care teams from secondary schools to share relevant information with them
  • Where a child has more specialised need a separate meeting may be arranged with colleagues, parents/carers and child if appropriate 
  • How are your resources allocated and matched to my son or daughter’s needs? 

    Each financial year the SEN budget is allocated and the money is used to provide additional support or resources dependent upon the needs of individual children. 

    • Additional support may be allocated after discussion with the class teacher, SENCO and Senior Leadership team at the regular Children Causing Concern meetings or if a concern has been identified at any time.
    • The SENCO will cost and evaluate the provision to ensure the effectiveness and value for money of the interventions and support.
    • Resources may include the deployment of staff depending on individual needs 

    How the decision is made about what type of and how much support my daughter or son will receive? 

    • Individual pupil progress is tracked half termly and meetings/discussion are held from which we and identify children who are causing concern.
    • Assessments such as the WRIT,WRAT, PM Benchmarking, TOWRE and Salford reading test or Sandwell Maths and Thrive are also used to inform decisions about the type and level of support required by individual children
    • Assessments and recommendations by outside agencies are also considered when allocating resources and support
    • Interventions are either small focus groups within class, targeted groups outside class, or 1:1 support as required.
    • Interventions/support programmes are then implemented and monitored to ensure that the child makes accelerated progress.
    • If further concerns are identified due to a pupil’s lack of progress or failure to thrive other interventions will be planned and implanted and then reviewed.
    • Pupil’s targets will be shared with parents/carers during parent teacher meetings and the mid and end of year reports. 

    What specialist provision is provided by Eastway Primary School?


    Eastway Primary School has three specialist bases for pupils diagnosed with social communication needs.  One which teaches pupils in Early Years, one for Key Stage One and the other which supports pupils in Key Stage 2. We provide teaching and learning which enables all children to gain access to a broad, balanced and appropriately differentiated curriculum with some inclusion in mainstream when appropriate. We recognise and record student’s strengths and successes to encourage a positive self-image. Eastway Primary School ensures that all children become independent learners we empower children to become lifelong learners.


    Pupils are placed in these specialist resource bases by the local education authority and have an Education Health Care Plan.


    Who can I contact for further information: 

    If you wish to discuss your child’s individual needs please contact Mrs Harrison via the School Office. 

    What are the arrangements for parents of children with SEN who may wish to complain

about the provision? 

Parents who wish to complain are strongly encouraged to initially speak to the SENCO, then if they are still not satisfied they should speak to the Head Teacher regarding their complaint. If the issue can’t be resolved at this level or the complaint is regarding the Head Teacher the parent would be directed to the schools complaints procedure. 

Where is the Local Authorities Local Offer published? 


How do we support Families at Eastway? 

At Eastway Primary School we take the care of our children very seriously. In order to care for them we also try to support family members. In order to do this we have a designated Home/School Co-ordinator, Mrs Dennett.

We offer Youth Connect Five training for parents to help them support the emotional well being of their child or children.

At times we offer parents support through Training Courses such as Family Works, How to Raise a Confident Child and Healthy Eating on a Budget.

We also offer Maths and English Level 2 Course are offered.

We run The Hub, Drop-in for parents every Wednesday morning.

The ADHD Foundation also work with parents in school to help them to support and manage children displaying challenging behaviour or neurodevelopmental conditions. 


Local Offer Wirral - Providing information for children and young people (0-25 years) with special educational needs and disabilities.