A Quality Science Lesson at Eastway
Primary Science is split into four areas:
- Scientific Enquiry (Working scientifically)
- Life Processes and Living Things
- Materials and their Properties
- Physical Processes
In these lessons you should see:
Beginning of a topic
- Topics are shared
- Children use their own thinking- developing questions to be answered
- Class discussion of what they know – sharing prior knowledge
- Adults acting as naïve learners, drawing the class’ attention to key learning and deepening their thinking by posing questions and problems
- Science uses experiments to discover the realities underlying the world, and this practical approach seems to be as intrinsic to young learners.
- Children exploring problems in their own way.
- Scientific vocabulary shared and defined.
- Children justifying their thinking and checking their own work
- Mistakes and misconceptions addressed and responded to with curiosity, encouraging children to explore and correct these errors themselves
- Struggling learners supported with vocabulary, guided practice and collaborative learning.
- An additional challenge available for children who are ready to work at a greater depth than ARE lesson