A Quality PE lesson at Eastway
- At Eastway we use Wirral EQ planning from Reception to Year 6.
- All children from Reception to Year 6 (including Base children) have one lesson of PE taught weekly by a trained PE teacher.
- Children are expected to wear a PE kit consisting of a t-shirt and black shorts provided by school. Children should bring a pair of pumps/trainers to school which is added to their PE kit.
- Children must remove jewellery and watches before taking part in lessons.
- Long hair should be tied up and away from their face.
In these lessons you should see:
- Warm up
- Children must be physically active, increasing their heart rate, stretch their muscles and prepare for the physical requirements of the lesson.
- Children explore the differences between still heart rate and active heart rate and changes in breathing.
Examples: Traffic light game, disk and domes, mental maths groupings, teacher says….
- Discuss learning outcomes from previous lesson.
- Share learning objectives/outcomes.
- Physical competence
- Remind children of previous learning objectives e.g 5 basic shapes in gymnastics.
- Introduce new learning – modelled by teacher or peer to peer.
- Use my turn/your turn/our turn to develop their new skills.
- In gymnastics – children would practise skills to create a sequence. In dance – the children would combine moves to create a short dance performance. In games – children will practise new skills individually/partners.
- Thinking and decision making
- Recap on lesson and previous and how skills have developed
- In games – children apply skills to a game. In gymnastics – sequence to be performed to peers. In dance - dance performed to peers.
- Thinking – improving performance
- Sharing of good examples – adult to adult and peer to peer.
- ‘Magpie’ examples to improve own or group performance
- Teacher will share next week’s targets.
- Cool down
- Move slowly around the area.
- Repeat stretches from warm up with less intensity.
Please see additional tabs for:
- Swimming outcomes
- Long term plan
- Sports Premium Spending plan